Monday, August 26

Words of Wisdom

This was written by my good friend Courtney to her son who is starting High School.  Her husband shared it on his Facebook and you can feel the emotion she had to have when writing this.  It made me think of little man and how quickly time will go by until he is at this point in his life.  That everything J and I do from here on out will be a direct reflection on how he will be in the future.  I pray that the foundation we lay brings him all the joys that this life has to offer and, just like Court says, that above all else, he thanks God for all of His blessings that He's given us.

I know I'm a big dork and super uncool and all that other stuff you're thinking about me because I'm your Mom....but I have so much I want to say to you as you begin this next chapter in your life.  Highschool is so many things rolled into 4 years.  It's the first step in your adult life.  It will define who you are, who you want to be.  Over the next 4 years you will experience so many firsts.  First real love, first broken heart, first car.  Along with all that, you will face challenges that will test your character, your mind, your strength and your ability to know right from wrong despite the unbelievable peer pressure you will experience.  Through all of that you will make friends and memories that you will hang on to for life.  If you make good decisions and hold yourself to a high standard the next 4 years will be some of the greatest times of your life.  Your Dad and I have laid a foundation and held you to a high accountability with the goal that when you face this world as a man that you will know how to hold your own.  I am very proud of the young man you are becoming and I am excited to see what God has planned for you.  With that, I have a few points of advise for you that I hope you will at least consider.
1. Above all, ALWAYS turn to God when you struggle and ALWAYS remember to thank Him for the many blessings He gives us.
2. Choose your friends wisely.  It's better to have one true friend than 20 fake ones.  Friends are one of Gods biggest blessings.  
3. Study and work hard to keep your GPA up....I know it sucks.  I hated it too.  But I can't even begin to tell you how it will help you as an adult.
4. Believe that you are worth it!  That you deserve it!  You can be anything you want in this life!  Each day tell yourself that.
5. Always remember how much we love you!  Even when we yell and we push you to do things you don't want to.  Remember, if we didn't care, we wouldn't!  It really is that simple.
I love you so much Chaser!  You have the world at your fingertips!  You're smart, handsome and you have the biggest heart of anyone I know.  I never said it was going to be easy to earn that new truck!  The race for Tech starts now!!  Ready, Set....GO!!!!
Love, Mom

So many of my friends have kids who are starting school this week.  Some for the very first time and others, like Courtney & Tre, who are sending their once little boy to Highschool where the next 4 years will very well reflect who he is in the future.  He's lucky to have parents like them who care enough to see him through that and who will be a vital part of that experience and where he goes next.  Thank you Tre for sharing Courtney's 'words of wisdom.'

No comments :

Post a Comment